Monday, February 07, 2005
On this day:

The Making of a Hoax

Message Board Member Admits to Hoax of US Soldier’s Capture By SITE Institute Following is the translation of the hoaxter’s apology message, written on February 2, 2005:
In the name of God, the Most Merciful and Most Compassionate, Soldier John Adam is [only] a toy. I am a 20-year old Iraqi young man. I am unarmed, independent and do not belong to any party or group. I apologize to all the parties and everyone, for I meant nothing by that [no harm]. The picture was a scheme that I made up with a toy that I bought with $5. Today I am announcing that this news was made up, and that the picture was of a toy that I worked on with the help of some children. I cannot provide any information about me because, as I mentioned earlier, I am unarmed, and any information about me might jeopardize my life and the lives of my family [members]. My apologies to everyone.
Thanks to My Right Wing Conspiracy. I note that the blogosphere is light years ahead of the main stream media on this story. Isn't that right, Dan Rather?