Thursday, June 16, 2005
On this day:

Oprah's Dusty History Book

Oprah Winfrey is an extremely needy soul. She apparently has no problem walking over the country that made her what she is in order to feel even a fleeting connection to, in this case, South Africa. BBC: US chat show host could be a Zulu -- DNA experts have questioned Oprah Winfrey's belief that she is a member of South Africa's Zulu nation
[Oprah] told South Africans she felt "at home" in the country. "I went in search of my roots and had my DNA tested, and I am a Zulu," Ms Winfrey said at a seminar in Johannesburg last week. [...] "I'm crazy about the South African accent," she said. "I wish I had been born here."
James Taranto at Opinion Journal notes rather sharply:
Winfrey was born in 1954 in Mississippi, not a friendly time and place for someone of Winfrey's ethnic heritage (Zulu or not). But if she'd been born in South Africa, she would have been treated as a second-class citizen until she was 40.
(Yeah, I know it's a hoax.) Amazing how so many celebrities make their fortunes and become successful in America, and then show their tremendous gratitiude by wishing they were of a different country, or seek to raise their children in a different country.